shabbyblog

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Handmade Gifts: A Special Touch

IT'S FINALLY AUTUMN!!!

Suffice it to say, I'm extremely excited that it is "officially" autumn! Exuberant even. Life is better when the air is cooler. You can quote me on that.

Last week I dug out my needle and thread and got back to work. A friend at work had a bridal shower, and I knew she liked the shabby chic, thrifty style also. Seeing as we are on a tight budget (aren't we all), I decided to embroider a little something for her. 

I figured this would be easy enough for a noob like me: 


Except I have no idea what stitch that is...I thought it looked a bit like a chain stitch, but I tried that and it didn't work out so well for me. I went with the easy-peasy running stitch, and it ended up looking like this:


I'm no expert... this is only my fourth attempt at needlepoint. I'm really just winging it. 
I should get my mom and mother-in-law to teach me what they know. (Shout out! Hi moms)
I added their wedding date to the bottom. Nice touch, eh?

{Side note: Speaking of "eh?"... Josh went to Canada last week for a gig! He forgot to bring my maple syrup, but I'll make sure he remembers when they go back in November. Maybe I can get him to write a post about his adventure. End side note}


So I put it in a nice frame. A little cottage style touch. I'm happy to report that my friend (and her fiance) loved it. 

Here are two other projects I've completed...


This little guy, ahhh. He makes my heart happy. Unfortunately he still hasn't found a home.


And this guy was a birthday present for my friend and maid of honor Melanie. (Shout out)... It was actually quite big, but you can't tell by the picture.

Here is a site I found (via Pinterest, of course) with step-by-steps of all the embroidery stitches you can imagine. I found it very helpful.

In other news... I added a couple more autumn touches to the living room
Has anyone else noticed there is a lot of touching in this post?


I have really enjoyed this little pumpkin fillers that I got last year at Michael's.


And the two stuffed pumpkins from Hobby Lobby last year (placement subject to change)


And the autumn wreath I made last year (featuring the little pumpkin fillers). 
And yes, our door is purple.
I can't wait to get some mums and real pumpkins.



Oh, and while we were at Michael's, I looked for a matching basket for the one I got last year that just happened to be the perfect size for our coffee table cubbies. Success! (And on sale, so double-success!) I think maybe I should spray paint the baskets yellow instead of painting the coffee table yellow. Thoughts?

I have some more mini-projects in the works.
Stay tuned,
Haley.

P.S. Here is another shout out to another one of my bridesmaids: Happy Birthday Dana!


1 comment:

  1. Regarding your yellow paint dilemma....why don't you spray paint the other basket (the one in your previous blog that wasn't a perfect match;) and see how you like it! If you love, I say paint both baskets! If not....paint the table! Just a thought.....;)

    ReplyDelete